Wednesday 20 June 2012

How to cover buttons

I recently made this sweet little peplum top for my daughter from the amazing book one yard wonders I think I've mentioned before how much I love and use this book.  Any way the fabric I used had quite a small delicate pattern.  I felt fabric covered buttons would really finish this top nicely.  You can buy buttons to cover very inexpensively but they never come with instructions so I thought I would do a little tutorial here.  I know myself when you' re new to sewing you want to check you are doing things just right.  I still like to look up an unusual seam finish or technique I haven't done in a while just to refresh my memory & give me the confidence to proceed.  I hope this helps.

here is the kit available at most haberdashers


 Cut a circle of your chosen fabric with about 1cm extra around the button,  Remember that what is in the centre of your circle will be what is on the finished button.


 Tie a knot in one end of your thread and sew a large running or basting stitch around the edge of your fabric circle.

 
Place the button in the centre of your fabric and begin to gather the fabric around it.  Do this by gently pulling the thread still attached to the needle, easing the gathers along the fabrics circumference as you go.  Secure with a couple of stitches.  I like to run some stitches across the back of the button just to help secure the gathers and help the fabric lie nicely to help with the next step.



Get the back part of the button and press it firmly into the back of the button.  As you can see this holds all the fabric firmly in place and tidies all the raw edges and folds.  The button back is slightly conical place it on the back so the cone is facing upward not down.



 
Your done, easy-peasy!  I hope you will agree this adds a lovely finishing touch 


Oh and here is the sweet little top I made, buttons go up the back this is the front.




No comments:

Post a Comment